The Heart of Within Temptation


I am having an earload of Within Temptation’s 2007 release “The Heart of Everything.” I must say that the band, this time, has made songs that pass the mainstream’s connotation of what music is (read: radio material). This is particularly true with their first single “What Have You Done Now?” something that will give Evanescence a run for their money.

I’ve heard of the band since 2001, but I failed to really give my full and undivided attention to the four albums they had produced since 1997. I’ve been hearing then that they were the band that influenced such acts like Evanescence and Lacuna Coil, probably because of the similarities in their music and being one of the first female-fronted bands producing this genre: symphonic/metal/gothic rock. Now Within Temptation is slowly breaking through the international music scene (point of reference: America), unlike their previous efforts that only became biggies in their homeland, The Netherlands, Europe and again some Asian countries. This makes me deduce that we Asians have better tastes. LOL.

I recently got hold of “Enter” and “The Heart of Everything,” and the latter would have to go to the select list of albums with songs I listen to (and like) from track one till the end. The band also goes to my list of female-fronted bands I definitely dig, alongside Kittie, Lacuna Coil, and Flyleaf.

Stream “The Heart of Everything” here.