Music 101: S.C.I.E.N.C.E

I must say I enjoyed tremendously Incubus’ “S.C.I.E.N.C.E.” In fact, I’m listening to it still. Honestly, I only know so little from the album, considering that being an Indie band in the ‘90s, I’ve heard hardly any songs from their sophomore offering, except for “A Certain Shade of Green,” which received some airtime in local radio stations in Zamboanga. It was only when they joined the commercial bandwagon that the band became a household name.

Image Hosting by Picoodle.com

Experimental, no holds barred, an album made not to conform to standards set forth by label sharks and the like. These are what separate Indie music, and Incubus’ S.C.I.E.N.C.E., from all the rest. Brandon Boyd and his motley crew of talented musicians were able to do songs as they see fit, mess around with their material (in a good way), and let everything transform to great music from there. This album reminds me of the superb music that RATM released around the same time, although at times funky and soulful.

I made mention in some blogs before that when an artist becomes so popular, they seem to lose a bit of their luster, the luster that fans hold dear because they know that they are only but a few of those who follow the music of these guys. This may or may not be the case with Incubus now, but wherever their musicality takes them, old and new fans alike are behind them, from "Fungus Amungus" to "Light Grenades" and beyond.

Now that they’re coming, I’ll be looking forward to hearing songs from their sophomore album more than ever.